Classic Chestnut wood-canvas “Ogilvy Special Pool” model. It was once designed and made popular by Atlantic salmon fishing guides in eastern Canada. Guides maneuver these extra rugged and very stable canoes through shallow rapids whilst their clients fly fished from the bow.
The hull shape is very good for paddling, poling and even the use of an outboard. It has an excellently proportioned beam-to-length, cross-section and rocker for simple paddling and maneuverability — not a tub like brand new plastic substitutes.
I purchased it instantly from the Chestnut Canoe Factory in Fredericton, New Brunswick, for primary use on Maine’s Allagash and Penobscot Rivers.
Original owner should sell now.
- Built: 1970, Fredericton, New Brunswick
- Condition: Excellent, Original
- Damage: No Damage, No Patches
- Length waterline: 20ft
- Length overall: 20ft 6in
- Beam: 37in
- Weight: ~ 115lb
- Ribs & Planks: Cedar (extra thickness and half inch spacing for superior strength)
- Thwarts: Oak
- Canvas: Heavy duty #8 Cotton
- Seats: Original Hand-Caned
- Outboard Rating: as much as 15 hp (rides great with 3.5 – 6 hp)
- Factory Options: Anchor pulley & cleat (see photo)
I also have an original Chestnut Beavertail Paddle and folding canoe seat.
Located in Bangor, Maine, area. Call to investigate cross-check.